11/04/2012

Marine Cove McDonald, Toa Payoh & Lion City Hotel

30 Years of Memories at Marine Cove McDonald’s

Posted on by

A favourite hangout place for many, the McDonald’s outlet at Marine Cove, East Coast Park, has served a generation of Singaporeans well for the past 30 years.
Students used to visit the place for a drink after their participation at the nearby Road Safety Park. NSF (Full-Time National Servicemen) would enjoy a break there upon completion of a 5km run at East Coast Park on Saturday mornings. It was also a popular rendezvous for lovers, a birthday celebration for kids or simply a place of gathering for friends and families.


read more

I remember goes to Toa Payoh

Last night, I was at the Iremember goes to Toa Payoh event organized by the Singapore Memory Project team. They had kindly permitted me to display my new book, Good Morning Yesterday, at the venue. Visitors to the carnival were encouraged to share their memories of Toa Payoh via a variety of means.

Actually, I have lots of memories of Toa Payoh to share with them. I lived in a kampong in nearby Lorong Chuan up to 1974. Travelling along Braddell Road almost daily, I had literally seen Toa Payoh take shape before my eyes. Also, I had worked in the Philips Audio Factory in Lorong 1, Toa Payoh for 5 years up to 1984; and hence had many memories of Toa Payoh during that period; especially the eating places. But because I had to man my ‘station’ – since my book distributors were not able to attend – I did not have a chance to do it last night. But never mind; I will do it later at the SM Portal. In any case, I prefer to write my posts in an systematic manner. But I did share some memories verbally in front of the video camera because most of the visitors were too shy to do so.

read more

Bye Bye To Hollywood Theatre And Lion City Hotel Part 1
 
What’s the link between Hollywood Theatre and Lion City Hotel? Well they are both owned by the late property magnate Mr.Wee Thiam Siew. Mr.Wee Thiam Siew also owned the not too long demolished Seven Storey Hotel. The Seven Storey Hotel was built in 1953, followed by Hollywood Theatre in 1957. The Hollywood Theatre was opened by the cinema magnate late Mr.Loke Wan Tho in 1958.

I’ll blog on Hollywood Theatre in Part 1 and Lion City Hotel in Part 2.

read more